Week 15: Story Lab

This week I chose to do a story lab instead of a new story. When looking through the options for story labs, I was immediately drawn to the TED talks. I have always loved TED talks because I think it is fascinating to hear someone talk about something that they have not only knowledge about but also a large passion for.

The first TED talk that I watched was called "The danger of a single story" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. In this seminar, she discusses the threat that knowing only one story, or one side of a story, can pose. Not knowing the whole story can lead to a risk of critical misunderstanding. My favorite quote from this TED talk was when she said "The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but they are incomplete." I think there is so much power behind these words as many people probably feel like they understand something or someone when they haven't given a whole lot of thought to it as a whole.

The second TED talk I watched was called "Imaginary friends and real-world consequences: parasocial relationships" by Dr. Jennifer Barnes. This talk discussed the consequences of having real feelings for imaginary people. I think this topic is really interesting because I have found this to be a real thing. When reading books, or even watching movies and tv shows, I find myself becoming so wrapped up in the lives of the characters that I'm reading about and I begin to fantasize about their world. It becomes so real in my mind. It was interesting to hear Dr. Barnes discuss the ideas and the science behind why we get so invested in character's lives.
Image result for ted talk
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Source. 

Comments

Popular Posts